I’ve got a confession to make, I’ve never made zucchini bread before… I know, not cool. After what’s been a very serious baking session I can say with absolute certainty this healthy zucchini bread recipe is the real deal!
Don’t be fooled by the zucchini, it doesn’t alter the taste of the bread and the texture it provides makes for a soft, almost spongy result that you won’t be disappointed with. It’s honestly mind-blowing.
A hot tip, when grating the zucchini you don’t need to worry about it being too stringy, or spending lots of time trying to get it nice and fine. Once it’s mixed in with the other wet ingredients you don’t even notice it.
I am certain the whole loaf will be gobbled up over the next few days, I’ve never made anything quite like it and with some more testing, I’m excited to look into vegan and gluten-free variants.
Maximum Flavour – Lemon, Lemon, Lemon!
The lemon perfectly complements the texture of the bread. An important element if you want to get a truly yum flavour that will put a smile on your dial. You’ll need a couple of medium to large lemons to get enough juice and zest for the glaze and zucchini bread.Print
This healthy zucchini bread hits the perfect balance between sweet and sour while having the most amazing moist texture to match. Add a bit of crunch with a few pecans and you’ll be in taste bud heaven.
- 1 1/2 cups of high grade flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 medium zucchini (grated)
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Juice of 1 medium lemon
- 1 cup of powdered sugar
- Power up the oven to 350˚ and line your desired tin with baking paper. Whisk the high grade flour, baking powder and baking soda in a medium bowl and set to one side.
- Grate your 2 zucchini into a bowl, you should get around 1 to 1 and a half cups worth. Add in the yogurt, sugar, vegetable oil, lemon zest and eggs, mixing well.
- Fold your dry ingredients in careful not to overmix. Pour the ingredients into your baking tin and place it in the oven for 45 minutes. Until a knife inserted in comes out clean and the top bonces back.
- Moving on to the lemon glaze grab a new glass bowl, adding the powdered sugar with the lemon juice mixing until you get a nice consistent texture.
- Once your bread has finished baking let it cool before adding the glaze or it’ll run off and you won’t get a pretty finished result. Also note a good portion of the glaze will soak into the bread.
We have to quickly talk about toppings. I personally am not a big fan of walnuts or peacans, but I’d be lying if I didn’t say they work perfectly with this kind of bread. Adding a very tasty crunch element that takes the load from a 9 to a 10.
- Category: Baking
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Baking
Keywords: Zucchini, healthy, bread, lemon, zest
Verdict On The Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe
A new hit in our little household. The boys love it, mum loves it… It’s a winner. Quite possibly the only way to get Zucchini into the kids too, I don’t know if I can claim that as a win though…
If you’re diving into a little weekend baking, report back and let me know how you get on. This surprisingly delicious bread packs a serious punch.